Party Post - Part 3

A friend, Aida, asked about "the family" in the comment box. This is something to talk about and I think you all should know their reactions to the party.

Since this party was meant for friends only, we did not invite anyone else from the family except for our children and my two BILs (because they are in the same age category). I did not invite my parents and MrNordin did not invite his.

In fact, this party was kept a secret from my in-laws and other close relatives because I just want it to be for friends. But out of courtesy, we informed our parents (just our parents, ok?) that we're having a small makan2 for friends on Saturday night. This, to avoid them from dropping by unexpectedly during the party.

My parents tak kisah pun. But my MIL? The first thing she asked, "Ada kemah?" Then, "Birthday Yati ke?" MrNordin kept on telling her that it's a company do and only for office friends. Of course we couldn't tell her that it was for my 40th birthday and ada disco segala. Nak mampus? So, we told the children, use the same story line whenever Wan or anyone asked~ it's baba's company function and for office friends only.

Anyway, on the day itself, my MIL kept on calling MrNordin insisting that she wanted to come over to the house and check on the preparation. Adoi... orang tengah sibuk pasang lampu disco ni, mak mertua pulak nak datang buat spot check! She kept on calling 3, 4 times telling MrNordin this and that. Asking him why tak jemput orang sebelah (our neighbour happened to be a Minister), why tak ajak orang ni, why mak tak boleh datang, why this, why that.

You see, whenever we do functions or gatherings at our house, we would invite all our relatives (well, only MrNordin's mostly. My relatives kadang2 je). And we never cut corners. People usually have fun. So this time around, the fact that they were not invited made them very curious to know what's going on.

One of Nordin's aunty SMS me a day after my birthday, saying that "Oh... ada buat party ya this Saturday. Senyap2 je tak beritau. Tak apa lah... zaman moden sekarang ni macam2. Aunty tak kisah.." Like, what the heck? There must be a reason why we don't invite you, right? And anyway, it's our house and it's our party, we can invite whoever we want. I don't have to explain to you why I'm having this party and why I don't include you!

Anyway, I didn't want to layan her. I just said thank you and didn't even mention about the party. Now, she's bugging our kids pulak trying to find out more about the party. Tried to pull a fast one on Nabila yesterday when she SMS her saying, "Your house ada party ya last Saturday. Sampai hati tak jemput... " Nabila didn't reply her SMS (smart girl!) , and so she called Nadim pulak at home, asking about the same thing. Nadim also gave a non-chalant answer. Hee.. hee... my kids are very clever!

Hai... macam2. Kalau orang tak jemput tu, faham2 je lah, kan? Tak payah lah nak sibuk2 tanya. I dah agak dah something like this will surely happen. We spoke about this last night at the dinner table and had a good laugh. One thing we will not do is justify our reasons for holding the party and why they were not invited. No one should question us coz that's our prerogative. Some people are just so busybody, why ah?

If only my MIL knew what we did last Saturday night... :)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Mrs N,

This is so interesting, myself being a busybody..he..he..When I first read about your party (in the planning), I thought you're not having it at the house.

I can only dream of having such parties..because takut nak buat relatives kecik hati lah plus tak pandai organise. Some of my relatives are ultra sensitive, kalau we have b'day parties (for kiddies) and invited through the spouse, it doesn't count as an invite to the whole family. Can you believe it?

I think some people have got so much time on their hand that they have to know about the goings on in other people's lives. (Hmmm..sounds familiar.). Especially with relatives, they feel it's their right.

By the way, you and Mr N make a really lovely couple, so cool..

Busybody
MrsNordin said…
Busybody,

Your relatives sound very much like MrNordin's. Are you sure you don't know him??

At first, memang we thought of doing it outside to avoid perkara2 yang sebegini. But then later we thought doing it at home was much nicer and cheaper. So we cancelled the restaurant and went ahead with the home plan.

The point is, it was our party, right. Why orang lain nak sibuk2 telling us what to do and what not to do? And why nak kecik hati sebab tak kena invite?

Kalau I lah, orang buat parti tapi tak invite kita, sudah lah. I will never even mention it to the host coz I know they must have a reason for not inviting us. Ini... mmm... tak tau lah nak kata. I guess it's true what you said, "They think it's their right to know". But that's so not true!
Anonymous said…
BJ,

Ur MIL sounds like mine too.

And indeed your kids pandai ehhehehe

Thanks for sharing,Aida.
wanshana said…
BJ,

Nanti your MIL will come up with a movie called - "I Know What You Did Last Saturday..."

Jeng, jeng, jeng.... Hehehehe!
Anonymous said…
Hi Mrs Nordin, I suka dengan keberanian you!! I wish I am as brave as u, but I am NOT!!

Memang susah buat parties kat Malaysia ni!! Semua jamuan kena ajak semua saudara mara segala. Kalau tak, kecik hati bertahun-tahun. Contohnya, buat birthday party untuk anak I, yang ramai datang, (sebab TERPAKSA ajak) ialah orang dewasa (read:sedara mara makcik pakcik etc!!). Jadi priority tak dapat diberikan pada the birthday kid and his/her friends!!! Rumah dah penuh dengan orang dewasa!!

Sekarang ni duduk oversea senang!Bila buat birthday anak, kawan-kawan anak aje yang datang, ibubapa they all understanding. Tak kecik hati pun kita tak ajak depa!

Tulah kan, memang lemas rasanya bila pikirkan nak buat party/jamuan kat Malaysia!!! Tapi apa nak buat, dah culture kebanyakkan Melayu cam tu, suka kecik hati kalau kita tak ajak datang!!!

Saja sebok.
MrsNordin said…
Hi Aida,

We should sit down and compare notes!
MrsNordin said…
Shana,

HA! HA! HA! I Know What You Did Last Saturday!! Jangan lah buat I suspen...!!
MrsNordin said…
Hi Anon,

Memang... we all kalau buat kenduri ke parti ke, kenalah "personally" jemput each one of them. Kalau tak, ada yang tersenget sampai berbulan2. So, kadang2 tu nak buat just a small one, terus jadi besar ~ siap pasang kemah sebab orang ni kena jemput, orang tu kena jemput ~ and dia macam berunchit-unchit (you know what this means?).

The thing that cheeses me off is, when relatives start telling us what to do. Hey, mind your own business lah. We never interfere with your life, so lay off! (but they never get it, do they?)

Birthday party budak2 biasa lah, memang penuh dengan adults je. Tapi kadang2 tu, elok jugak. Bila buat kenduri kendara tak payah panggil orang lain. Kita sedara mara je dah cukup quorum! Hee.. hee...

Strangely, my family tak pulak macam tu. They all releks je. Jemput ke tak jemput, no big deal. Bila duduk dekat2 ni yang problem sikit.

Have a nice day and continue dropping your comments!
Anonymous said…
BJ,

Its not just to compare notes but share secrets on how to deal with them. But then I guess I am happy with the way I am dealing with things, dunno if they are hehehehe
AuntieYan said…
Mrs.N.

Ini yang dikatakan rumah sudah siap, pahat pulak berbunyi...:-)
Hope said…
MrsN

One of the plus point of being away is avoiding problem like this :)

It is our culture lah kan....

Great Party!
MrsNordin said…
Auntie Yan,

Betullll lah sesangat tu!
MrsNordin said…
Hope,

Some people are just so sibuk in meddling into other people's business. Tak de kerja lain ke??

Good that you're away. Enjoying yourself in Turkey, I suppose. Take care!
Kesian you J..kalau I dah breakdown and confess dah. tapi takkansemua party kena jemput segala orang??
MrsNordin said…
SW,

Hee... hee...

This New Year, buat party rumah you, nak? Then we can tell our relatives, sorry... no party this year. Go somewhere else.

(sure ada yang putus sedara tu nanti..)

Popular Posts